Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Jake and Darcy, Part Four

I hang up with Jen and head to her place.

Jen and I have been out a few times. She’s a pretty decent girl. I went to school with her at Shawnee. She was one of those girls that I would pass by in the halls and think ‘man, that’s a cute girl’ and promptly resolve to meet her. And then forget about it ten seconds later.

I was at a graduation party the first time I actually got a chance to follow through on my desire to meet her.

I want to stand up I want to let go you know you know know you don’t you don’t I want to shine on in the hearts of men I want to meet you from the back of my broken hand another hate, another heartbreak, I’m so much older than I can take, and my affection, well it comes and goes, I need direction to perfection no no no no help me out, you know you gotta help me out…

…matches my thoughts as I’m walking through the backyard of my friend’s graduation party.

I see her, standing by the patio looking a little lost.

I guess I stare a little too long. She sees me. Smiles.

She’s coming over. Fuck. I’m really not prepared for this. Then again, who ever is.

“Hi, I saw you all the time at school, but we've never been introduced.”

“Jake.”

“I’m Jen.”

“Hey.”

“You graduating this year as well?”

“Yeah.”

“So where are you going to school next?”

“I’m not, I think I’m going to hang out and work for a bit. Try to figure things out.”

“Oh, like what?”

“Just things in general.”

She looks right at me. You know, in that way that lets you know she’s going to say something and you better be paying attention.

“I know who you are and who your brother is, and I just want you to know none of that matters to me.”

“It does to me.”

“It shouldn’t. I know Jessica, and she’s never said a bad thing about you. I guess I thought we should hang out sometime.”

“Why is that?”

“Because you want to. I can tell. What’s your cell?”

“I don’t have one.”

“Oh, yeah, that’s right. Sorry. You have e-mail?”

“Yeah.”

And then she stands there looking at me expectantly.

“Wow, you really are the Silent Man. Is there any way I could make this any easier?” she says with a smirk.

Maybe it was the smirk, maybe it was the attitude, but either way it made me laugh. The sound startled me. It had been a very long time.

“jake3454@comcast.net.”

“Ok, I’ll e-mail you my number. Give me a call. A landline, a payphone, whatever.”

“I’ll do that.”

“Ok, I got to go, my friend’s waiting to go.”

She turns to walk away, but turns back “oh, congratulations.”

“On what?”

“Graduating. I’ll be a Senior next year. Maybe you can return the favor then.”

And off she walks.

I can't remember who said it, but the phrase 'always leave the audience wanting more' springs to mind.

In one conversation I have gone from mildly curious to completely intrigued by Jen.

No comments:

Post a Comment