Monday, January 11, 2010

Jake & Darcy, Part One

“Hey, a little help?”

I’m standing outside Flannigan’s Service Station in Tabernacle. I’m taking a quick break when I see a baseball go rolling across the parking lot, coming to rest under a Dodge that currently is missing a transmission.

“Hey, you!”

I look across the street. The high pitched voice matches the person. It’s a girl. About 13, by the looks of it.

I take a drag on my cigarette and ignore her.

“I know you can hear me!”

I turn to look at her.

“Pleeeeeeeaaaaaseee, pretty pleeeeaaassseeee, mister?”

I consider the annoying request and amble over to the Dodge. I grab the ball.

“Thanks, can you throw it back to me?” She pounds her mitt and takes a stance. “Oh, can you throw it that far?”

It’s about 20 yards. I was decent in high-school ball. I can throw it at least many times that distance.

I wind up and promptly lose my grip on the ball. I guess the oil on my hands doesn’t help. I pick up the ball and throw it effortlessly over her head into the back yard of the little ranch house that sits on the corner of Hartford and Union road.

I toss the cigarette and see the girl running into the backyard.

I enter the garage and head over to the car I’m working on, a mini van with a couple of ruined rotors. I double check the lift, and walk to the front right tire, furthest from the office. I’ve just about got the tire off when I hear a voice, shrill and high, cut through the din of the radio say “Can I see the manager please?”

Oh Christ. I don’t need this shit today. I continue pulling off the tire and my boss, Mr. McGennis comes into the garage area. He looks around for a couple of seconds, and spots me.

“Jake, a minute, if you don’t mind, son.”

I put down the tire, grab my rag and wipe my hands off. I head over towards the office.

“There’s someone here to see you.” His eyebrows are scurrying across his head in ways I didn’t think possible.

I head into the main office and there she is, the girl from across the street.

“The young lady says you ruined her ball. What do you have to say?” Mr. McGennis tosses me the ball I threw across Union Street. It’s greasy and grimy. And has my fingerprints all over it.

“Yeah, I guess I did, I’m sorry.” I can’t look him in the eye.

“Well, son, I guess you ought to hit the general store and get a new one, don’t you think?” I nod my head.

He turns towards the girl, “What’s your name, young lady?”

“Darcy.” She is defiant. Looking him straight in the eye.

“Okay, Darcy, well, Jake here will bring you a new one tomorrow. That ok?”

“Thank you.” With that, she struts off through the front door.

Mr. McGennis turns towards me, “Son, you best buy a new ball tonight and bring it to that young lady tomorrow. Her mom came by here the other day about her linkage. I don’t need her to have a reason to not bring her car by. You got me, son?”

“Yes, sir.” I nod and head back towards the garage.

“Don’t forget, Jake. I’m serious.” I raise my hand and head towards a mini-van which is suddenly a much more welcome sight.

I get away with as few words as possible. I just graduated high school myself. Everyone called me “SM,” short for “Silent Man.” It’s not that I didn’t have anything to say. I was always just too scared and uncomfortable to say anything. I think my classmates just assumed I had greater wisdom. What few friends I had seemed to hang on my every word. Not because they were so great, mind you, but because they were so few. Supply and Demand in action, I suppose.

I finish putting on the new rotors and get ready to clock out.

“So, you got yourself a girlfriend, after all, tough guy?” Chance Alvieri spits at me.

I’ve always hated this guy. He’s about 6 years older than me and 4 years dumber. He knew my brother way back when. But that’s another story for another time.

I ignore him and head for my car, another day of work behind me.

The door makes a satisfying 'clunk' and I start the car. There would've been worse days to have to run an errand before going home. I back my car out of the parking lot, and wonder if Dixon's has any baseballs in stock, otherwise, I'll have to drive out to the Wal Mart.

No comments:

Post a Comment